Our apologies. We are a little behind in jurying the entries for this show. Notification should have been out today (Wednesday, May 5th). We needed additional information from some entrants. They have been contacted. Final notification of acceptance should occur by end of day Friday at the latest.
LESS IS MORE | Limited Color Palette
Themed Juried Show Call for Entry
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Monday, April 26th, 2021 | Midnight (CST)
SHOW RUN: Saturday, June 5th, 2021 through Saturday, July 10th, 2021
Many artists use a limited color palette which allows them to focus on tone and composition and provides a great deal of color harmony in their work. We want to see what you can achieve with only four colors. Color may be limited but subject and style are wide open. We invite you to take up this challenge, flex your brain muscles, and try something a little different if you’ve never painted with a limited palette before.
You MUST use white and three colors of your own choosing; a total of 4 tubes of paint, or 4 individual sticks of pastels, or 4 individual colored pencils. No more and no less.
You can mix your four colors (one of which is white) with EACH OTHER in any combination you choose. For example, if your colors are white, Cobalt Turquoise, Permanent Maroon and Cadmium Yellow Medium, which is used in the painting example above, you could mix white with Permanent Maroon or you could mix Cobalt Turquoise and Permanent Maroon or you could mix all 4 of the colors together to use in your painting. Those are just a few of the color mixing combinations you could use. Imagine a paint palette with a glob of white paint and 3 additional globs of color straight from the tube. You can do anything you want with those four globs, but you cannot introduce any additional globs of color.
If your work is chosen for the show you will be asked to provide small color swatches of your three paint colors and the names of the colors given on the three tubes of paint. Those will be displayed alongside your work.
For example, your white can be Zinc White or Titanium White or if painting in watercolors, pastels, etc. and you don’t want to mix with an actual white paint, you can just use the white of your paper/canvas/board, but still can only use 3 additional paint colors. You cannot substitute an additional paint color for white.
• Defined as specific tubes of paint.
For example, the painting used in the show graphic uses the following colors in addition to white: Cobalt Turquoise, Permanent Maroon, Cadmium Yellow Medium. That is just an example and you do not have to use those colors.
• You CANNOT mix multiple colors to create a unique color and then use that mix as one of your colors.
For example, mixing Cobalt Blue and Dioxazine Purple to create a darker blue and then calling one of your three colors Dark Blue is not allowed. That would count as two colors, Cobalt Blue and Dioxazine Purple, not one.
Not Quite Finished By the Deadline?
That’s okay. As long as you are close, you can submit a preliminary photo, but you must let us know by email that the submitted photo is not the final. If accepted, you must e-mail us the final photo by 5pm Tuesday, May 11th. Send only one photo by this date. We will consider your work completed once we receive a photo from you even if you send it prior to the deadline. Absolutely no revisions to artwork past this point. If your work is not completed by the original deadline of Monday, April 26th, if accepted, you will NOT be considered for any promotional materials.
To Submit Your Entries
First, read over the complete rules on the Registration Info page, then pay your entry fee ($55 for up to 3 pieces) and submit your entries for the show using the buttons the bottom of the Registration Info page.
- Accepted media include: oil, acrylic, colored pencil, watercolor, pastel, charcoal and/or mixed media. No photography. No sculpture. If you are using a media not mentioned, please email us for verification that we are accepting it. Contact: Katherine@dutchartgallery.net. No Sculpture. No Photography. No crafts.
- Entry must adhere to the LESS IS MORE theme. FOUR colors, white and three colors of your choice must be the only colors used in the submitted works. Each submitted work can use different colors from each other. The exception is white–each work must use white as one of the 4 colors.
- Entry must be available to sell and reflect your current standard pricing. Paintings that do not reflect the artists’ pricing structure may be disqualified.
- NONREFUNDABLE Entry Fee of $55.00 USD covers up to three entries. Artwork must have been produced in 2020-2021 calendar years, nothing older will be considered–you will be asked to verify this on the submission form. Entries must NOT have been submitted in previous Dutch Art Gallery Juried Shows. Entry must be original art produced by the artist registered. Work done by a production studio, in classes or workshops, work from kits, commercial designs, and derivative work is prohibited.
- Art Entry must meet standard framing sizes. See •Registration Info• page for a complete list.
Gallery wrapped canvas will be acceptable at any size because framing is not required. Must have minimum depth of 1.25 inches. Sides must be painted–either extend the painting to the sides or painted a solid color (no white/gesso or blank canvas on sides). Gallery provides temporary framing for the run of the show on standard sized pieces.
- Name your file(s) correctly. This is crucial for our automated system. If you are using your phone to take photos of your work, you must be able to rename the files. This may require downloading the photos to a computer in order to rename them.
ESSENTIAL! Name as follows:
- File Size Specifications: Largest dimension 1000px wide at 72dpi in .jpg format.
- Artist must include in the online registration a statement specific to each entered piece describing it. This information will be included on the website and on wall tags if your piece is chosen. The artists’ thoughts, the process, feelings about working with the limited palette are all acceptable subjects to write about. Strict adherence to the theme is mandatory.
NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED
26 | Mon | Entry Deadline | Midnight CST
04-05 | Tues-Wed | Notification (Please check your spam folder followed by our website before calling us to check status)
06 | Thurs | Delivery of Accepted Work Begins
18 | Tues | Delivery DEADLINE for Accepted Artwork
02 | Wed | Deadline for delivery of optional miniature art items for Goody Bag
05 | Sat | 11am-6pm | Due to ongoing Pandemic, Plans for Opening Reception and Awards are not firm at this time– awards announcement at 2pm will be either be Live on Facebook or posted soon after.
10 | Sat | Last full day of show
13-24 | Tues-Sat | Painting Pick-Up. Local artists may pick up unsold work at Dutch Art Gallery and will not be subject to shipping charges. Unsold works will begin being shipped back to artists in original boxes.
The Dutch Art Gallery is located in Dallas, Texas
The LESS IS MORE | Limited Color Palette Juried Show accepts entries nationwide